I was reading some articles this morning and found one from one of my favorite resources iBloom.
This video was one of the best ones I have seen hit the internet in a long time. I even paused it to grab my husband to watch it and we laughed until we cried. Candace was hysterical sharing her new found Chewbacca mask with the world…well her friends on Facebook. She had no idea how far it would go…
I wanted to share some really important points that Jen Bennett made in the article here as it pertains to why we sometimes find ourselves stuck and unable to move forward in our life/business.
Here is what Jen had to say in her article:
After going live, she soon found herself in a position that she couldn’t even imagine. She not only ended up shattering the record for most Facebook Live Video Views; a record that was recently held by Buzzfeed, but she touched and impacted the lives of MILLIONS of people. Today, her live video has over 3 million shares.
What can her video teach us about social media?
- We must stop worrying about what other people think: The one thing I hear from business owners as to why they are not getting active with live video on social media, is that they worry far too much about what other people will think. They worry that they will stumble upon their words. They worry about saying the right or wrong things. They worry about how they look. And it’s these worries that turn into the “what will people think” worry; a worry that ultimately keeps them from sharing.One look at Payne’s video and you will see that she could care less about what other people think; she’s just being herself. And by being herself, the world has come to love her.
- We don’t have to make things difficult: The thought of social media, especially live video, truly scares some people. They worry about having the right equipment, the right lighting, the right background and the right tools. But truthfully, we are making it way too difficult.When you look at Payne’s video, you will see that she shot her video from her car! There was no studio, no background lights, no makeup check, etc. She had an idea and decided to move forward with it by sharing it with the world, using the one tool that she had, her phone.
- We have to be comfortable with who we are: This is what I love most about Payne’s video; she is comfortable in her skin. She’s not worried about looking a certain way and she’s not worried about what people will think when they hear her laugh; she’s just comfortable with who God created her to be. She’s being her true authentic self, instead of trying to be “perfect.”Far too often we try to make everything just right before we even think about sharing ourselves on social media. If our outfit isn’t perfect, our hair and/or our makeup, then we just won’t do it. But as you can see, if you are real and authentic and have a message to share, the world will listen. And truthfully, perfectionism is the one thing that holds so many of us back. Aiming for perfectionism means that we are not comfortable with who we are. The fear of not doing something perfect causes us to step back and do nothing. The world would much rather connect with someone who is authentic and not perfect.
So today, I want you to think about how this relates to you and your business:
- Do you worry too much about what other people will think?
- Are you trying to make things more difficult than what they need to be?
- Are you comfortable with who you are, or are you wasting precious time trying to be perfect?
Take some time to work through these questions and then, do something about it. And if I may, I would like to challenge YOU to do a Facebook Live Video. Why? Because if the enemy can hold you back from sharing your expertise, your wisdom, your stories, your true authentic self, then he knows that he can keep you from being used fully for the Kingdom of God. And honestly, what better way then to let him know that he has no control over you, then by moving forward with a Facebook Live Video?
PS: If you decide to take me up on this challenge, post your link below; I would LOVE to watch it and send some encouragement your way!
About Jen Bennett:
Dr. Jen Bennett is the Inspirational Communication Specialist and Project Manager at iBloom. Jen’s passion is helping businesses, ministries and individuals, #BeWorthFollowing. Jen enjoys speaking, training, and writing on all things that inspire and help leaders build a digital footprint and personal brand that is different and that helps them stand out and influence people in a crowded and noisy social media world.